Starting school is one of the most important events in any child’s life. At this time, parents are naturally concerned to do the best for their children, but many feel uncertain about what to do. Our aim is to make it as easy as possible for parents to understand the procedures involved.
Admissions into our Reception classes and transfers from other schools are organised by the Education Authority Admissions department. You can access their website by clicking here.
Please note that the deadline for applications for the next academic year is 15th January 2024.
Most parents prefer their children to go to the local school and a place can nearly always be found for them without difficulty. Sometimes, however, parents prefer a school outside their own area but may find that all the places have to be allocated to local children. Inevitably, therefore, some parents have to be disappointed.
In the booklet, you will find details about:
- How admission arrangements work, the admissions timetable and the options that are open to you.
- Details of all maintained schools in the County, including the number of children that can be admitted to each primary school.
- Information about Church of England, Roman Catholic, Foundation and Academy schools and what you have to do to apply if you would like your child to attend one.
- Information about nursery education and special education
- Information about school transport
- Other issues to do with schools – school uniform requirements and how parents can discuss concerns with individual schools
- Staff in People’s Services do all that they can to offer a friendly and efficient service to parents.
- Leaflets are also provided to highlight the most important points parents need to bear in mind when they apply for a place in a primary or secondary school. Please get in touch with us if you need any help or advice, using the contact points shown inside the front cover of this booklet.
School admission appeals timetable September 2024 entry
Allocation day for primary schools is 16 April 2024.
The deadline for lodging appeals for primary schools is midnight on 15 May 2024.
Appeals lodged after this date will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date. Most school appeals will be heard before the school summer holidays for children starting primary or secondary schools where possible.